Friday, July 9, 2010

Trisha Yearwood's Chocolate Torte

A yummy cake to leave you with for the weekend from Trisha's cookbook, "Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood".  I started to label this post "a delicious mess" but it after it was all said and done I thought it looked okay.  My only complaint was that the glaze turned out kinda lumpy and grainy, but it was still delicious.

 This little cakestand is a recent Goodwill find, and plastic which is perfect for those of us who suffer from dropsy. 

 You definitely want to have a few round cake pans so you can work faster.  I bought some disposable ones, and found that the cakes released from these better than my regular pans.  
I'm hoping for a potluck soon, because I really want to take this to work.  It's sure to be a morale booster!
 (if you do make this, be sure to note the recipe calls for self rising flour. I didn't notice and just threw in a little baking powder, it seemed to work ok)


Here's her recipe:

Ingredients:
3 1/2 sticks butter (1 cup at room temp)
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
7 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups evaporated milk
3 tsp vanilla
 1 tbsp instant french roast coffee granules
6 large eggs, room temp.
2 cups plus 1 tbsp milk
4 cups self rising flour

Directions:

Make the cake glaze first.  In a large saucepan melt 3/4 cups butter and mix it with melted chocolate and 4 1/2 cups sugar.  Stir in the evaporated milk, 2 tsp vanilla, and instant coffee.  Cook the glaze over med high heat until it boils.  
Reduce heat to low and cook 20 minutes stirring constantly until mixture thickens.  Remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour at least 4 nine inch baking pans.
Cream together 1 cup butter and 2 1/2 cup sugar until smooth.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Mix in 1 tsp vanilla with the milk, and add alternately with the flour, beginning and ending with the flour.

Put a very thin layer of batter (about 7 tbsp) in each pan, shaking to distribute the batter (I used the back of a small spoon).  Bake 11 to 13 minutes.   
 Remove layers from the pans, frost and layer immediately.  Repeat until all batter is gone, you should get 12 layers.

I found to get the glaze to stick to the sides I had to let it cool off quite a bit. 


27 comments:

Sook said...

Wow, that is a lot of layers! Pretty!

Brownieville Girl said...

This looks really impressive ... I'd say it would be the most popular dessert at a pot luck.

Joanne said...

Whoa how did you make all those layers?!?!? I am seriously amazed.

Krista said...

All of those layers make for one impressive dessert! I'd have to get some disposable pans to make this too. I bet that it was really yummy with the chocolate and coffee flavors in there...and it looks so cool!

I've still gotta check out those Trisha Yearwood cookbooks. I've only heard good reviews.

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

I have Trisha's first cookbook and I really need to get this one!

Barbara Bakes said...

This has the perfect glaze to cake ratio for me. Yum!

Lori said...

I have always wanted to eat/make this kind of cake. It looks so good!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Holy smokes! 12 layers? Wow, that's a tall cake! My hats go off to you Julie....making a cake like that takes more patience then I have. :)
~ingrid

Diana's Cocina said...

I love this cookbook by Trisha Yearwood ~ I have had my eye on this cake for some time now ~ You did a excellent job!

Rita said...

What a perfect dessert to prepare for company; looks and sounds good.
Rita

Kerstin said...

Wow, this is quite the impressive cake with all those layers! I would definitely need more cake pans :)

Kim said...

Wowee! That is one impressive cake:) I would have lots of fun trying to get my mouth around such a big bite-LOL! It looks delicious.
Hope you are liking Trisha's cookbook. It's one of my new faves.

Monica H said...

Holy cow Batman! 7 cups of sugar? I think I just went into a diabetic coma just reading this recipe. ha!

It looks quite impressive with all those layers, but wowser!

What do you mean by 3 1/2 stick of butter, then in parenthesis it says 1 cup at room temp?

Monet said...

What an intricate cake! This would be gone in an instant at my house. The layers are beautiful

grace said...

i'll be honest--this looks like a lot of work (and extremely delicious). do you think trisha actually makes this, or does she let a personal chef do the work? :)

Reeni said...

This is sinful looking! And really pretty...I am loving all those layers...definitely impressive looking! I hope you'll stop by and enter my anniversary giveaway.

Recipe for Delicious said...

Now that is an impressive cake. I don't know if I have that kind of patience, but I'd happily eat about half of that cake!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm seriously impressed. As much as I love to bake, I think I'd have to pass on this one, but I would be more than happy to eat it (as long as someone else made it). :o)

Julie M. said...

Holy layers batman! You worked hard on this one. I can tell. Beautiful work!

chow and chatter said...

wow this looks amazing really amazing thanks so much for stopping by my blog

Rebecca

Kristen said...

Oh the patience you must have to make so many layers. I am afraid if I attempted anything so labor intensive, I'd end up with the leaning towner of Pisa in a chocolate glaze! Your looks delicious!

The JR said...

Thanks for sharing, but I have to say I prefer the one dish cakes recipes.... Too lazy to make 12 layers for hubby and myself!

Deborah said...

Oh my goodness - you are killing me!!

theUngourmet said...

Delicious! I've never tried to make one of these. Your cake plate find is wonderful too! :)

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Hy Julie,

Chanced upon ur blog while blog hopping...! Lovely space you have. Glad to follow u. Do drop in at my space sometime...!

My Little Space said...

Gosh, this looks absolutely marvellous! Oooo... salivating already! yummmm....
Regards, Kristy

Mimi said...

It looks like something I could stick a fork into.
Mimi