Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dark Chocolate Bread

Once again I was inspired by Monet of Anecdotes and Applecores to create a lovely sweet treat.  If this makes me some sort of a stalker, so be it!



It's a bread, and it's chocolate.  Only good things can come of it.  I had a little extra batter so I put it in a small round dish and baked it too.  


Monet is right, it's easy to over bake, so keep an eye on it...a few of my edges got a little too crisp.  But the inside is moist and wonderful.


 Either way, it's delicious!  I took it to work and someone there compared it to a muffin.  So I guess you could say it's a large delicious muffin in loaf form. 

Here's Monet's recipe....make it, eat some, share some, and be happy.

1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted  (I didn't sift, I'm dreadfully lazy)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces milk chocolate chips

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan, dust lightly with flour and knock out any excess flour.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine brown sugar, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Using the paddle attachment, mix until well-combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk until blended, then add the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla; whisk until combined.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly stream the wet ingredients into the dry ones, mixing until just combined. Slowly add flower and mix together. Stir in the milk chocolate chips with a spatula.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs (it is easy to overbake this bread). Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out on a wired rack to cool completely.
*I think my bread pan was smaller so I only left it in about 45 minutes.

Spread with peanut butter...if you know what's good for you.
 

21 comments:

Lara said...

chocolate and peanut butter combined is my kind of culinary delight! I love how moist and yummy it looks!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Wow! Can't imagine how good that must be!!

Kim said...

I thought the same thing as you. Chocolate and bread? You just can't go wrong with that. The bigger dilemma is whether or not to go with the cream cheese or peanut butter? Or, one of each? I say one of each, right?

The JR said...

I can see my hubbies eyes glazing over biting into this.

Smitten Sugar said...

Looks amazing! Chocolate anything is good with me!

UrMomCooks said...

All good things...chocolate, buttermilk, peanut butter, cream cheese...oh, the possibilities!!! I've never made anything like this before - it looks super delicious!

Joanne said...

I would totally stalk monet with you if you want. We can sit outside her house and bring her cookies.

This loaf sounds delicious! Chock full of chocolate heaven.

Brownieville Girl said...

Oh my, chocolate heaven!!

La Bella Cooks said...

Goodness, that looks divine and ultra chocolatey! Yummy.

Karen said...

Oh, my. This looks wonderful. Would love a slice with some cream cheese :)

teresa said...

this is just gorgeous, it looks so rich and decadent!

Kerstin said...

Mmmm, my mouth is watering - looks so rich and indulgent!

Chris said...

Oh my! I need a nap after seeing that, it just looks so moist and rich.

Lisa said...

I've had banana bread and pumpkin bread before, but I think it's time I tried chocolate bread. It looks so dark and rich and I know the aroma must be heavenly. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog (open to everyone) for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

Reeni said...

My chocolate craving heart wants a big slice of this! Right now. Delectable!

Beth said...

I saw this recipe on Monet's blog too, and it looks as good on yours! I think I'll have to give it a try!

Monet said...

I get so excited when I see these recipes! Thank you so much for your sweet words. I'm sorry it took me so long to comment...my aunt came in town this weekend, and I've been one busy girl. Your loaves look just delicious. Thank you so much for sharing! Have a good Sunday afternoon.

ann said...

Mmmm... chocolate bread sounds like heaven. I have to make this--soon.

Diana's Cocina said...

The cream cheese sounds just as divine on this treat. Great recipe.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Chocolate homemade bread? That sounds like a delectable combination. I am going to have to save this recipe on my to do list.

green apple sorbet said...

This looks amazing, can't wait to try it. Nigella has a chocolate loaf recipe but I found it a little underwhelming.
Happy baking :)