Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Emeril's Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

A few days ago I checked out the book "Emeril's Potluck" at the library, and this is one of the heart attack-inducing wonderful selections found inside.
I really am drawn to many of the recipes in this book. When I watch him on TV, I usually think what he's making sounds great, but the ingredients and techniques are just a bit out of my reach. The majority of the food in this book uses normal ingredients (or suggests substitutes) and doesn't look too difficult.
That whipped cream picked just the moment I was about to take the pic to try to slide right off of there.
I cheated a little and didn't make the homemade crust in the recipe. I just bought an oreo crust and made my day a little simpler.
Here's the recipe for ya in all the gory detail:
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups ground graham cracker crumbs
1 cup finely ground Oreo cookies (filling removed....I guess you're supposed to lick it out?)
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
6 tbsp granulated sugar
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temp (I just realized I used the whole thing....oh well!)
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbsp milk
4 oz melted semisweet chocolate
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup toasted chopped peanuts (I just used honey roasted and didn't bother with the toasting)
Chocolate sauce (recipe follows)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Combine graham cracker crumbs, oreo crumbs, butter, and 4 tbsp sugar and stir. Press mixture firmly into 9 inch pie pan and bake for 15 mins. Let cool completely, then wrap it with plastic wrap and place the pan in freezer for at least one hour. Allow the crust to come to room temp before filling.
Combine cream cheese, conf. sugar, and milk in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer until well blended about 1 min. Add melted chocolate and peanut butter, blend for another minute. Combine the cream with the remaining 2 tbsp granulated sugar in another bowl. Beat with mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate and peanut butter mixture until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Pour the filling into the pie crust. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. To serve, garnish with peanuts, and chocolate sauce.
Chocolate Sauce
3/4 cup half and half
8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp unsalted butter
In small saucepan, bring the half and half to a bare simmer. Remove from heat.
Place chocolate in med bowl. Whisk the half and half in slowly. Add the vanilla and butter to the sauce and whisk until mixed. (this was good stuff, but I have a gut feeling a splash of kahlua would not be out of place here)
I think everyone really enjoyed this, and I'd definitely make it again!
I also made his black-eyed pea salad which I'll share with you next time.

16 comments:

love lives in the kitchen said...

i was just wondering how many calories can it have ;) you know what? it doesn't matter! i just want a pice of it!
have a great day!
justyna

Sherri Murphy said...

This one would be worth the fat and calories!

Donna-FFW said...

Nothing beat a good pb pie and this sounds delicious.

Katy ~ said...

Sounds so creamy, rich and decadent!

Anonymous said...

The pie looks terrific, very decadent!

The JR said...

Heart stoppingly good!

Ramona

Monica H said...

A little extra cream cheese never hurt anyone :-)

This pie looks perfect. It's something my brother would love!

noble pig said...

I had this pie at his restaurant in Las Vegas and it was crazy good!

teresa said...

this looks HEAVENLY! and i bet using that whole block of cream cheese made it even better!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, you're funny! Lick it off? It's a rough job but someone's gotta do it!
~ingrid

Krista said...

What a gorgeous pb pie! I make a similar version with cream cheese and peanut butter. Love it!

Small House said...

OH MY WORD, that looks good. I'll be making that this weekend!!!
Sandra

Gamma Sharon said...

Sounds and looks wonderful... and I am al for making the day easier!
Hope you have a great weekend!
Over from SITS to say Hi!

grace said...

what a perfect pie, and not just because it gives me a legitimate reason to lick out the oreo filling... :)
happy halloween!

theUngourmet said...

Man oh man is this a pie! My kids would go crazy for all of this pb and chocolate goodness! I bet a small slice would do just fine for me. It looks rich and yummy!

Mara said...

I remember that!!!