Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hashbrown Casserole

Well hello there. It's been a little while, hasn't it? Did anybody miss me? No? Okay, I'll just sit in the corner and chew on wet cigarette butts.
This week has kicked my butt, not much time or energy for cooking, or taking pictures of whatever was cooked.
First my poor old doggie was feeling bad. He couldn't even walk on Sunday.
But his girl has been taking good care of him, and we've been pumping him full of steroids, muscle relaxers, and quasi-narcotics so he's pepped up quite a bit. Now he's a bit spoiled and thinks he needs to be hand fed baked chicken 3 times a day.

Then we had this little singing shin dig to attend at the girl child's school on Thursday night. It was cute and all, but it sure sucked down a huge chunk of time, especially when that was my only day off last week.

I personally was feeling like the guy in this pic for four days straight. I'm not sure what my problem was but I'm much better now.

Which leads me to....Hashbrown Casserole. I found a new bloggy friend who posted this recipe that is supposed to be like hashbrown casserole served at the Cracker Barrel.

I love that you bake it in an iron skillet. I was a little perplexed when I read the recipe, because any hashbrown casserole I've ever had contained sour cream and cream of chicken soup. But this just had some milk, and beef broth, along with the cheese. I thought there would be no way it would be as creamy and delicious as the other kind, but I was wrong! It's yummy! I was thinking one could even substitute low fat milk and cheese, and call it a low fat dish. Lower fat than the other kind anyway.

UPDATE:  Well apparently the link for that recipe seem to be broken.  I don't want you to go away empty handed if you came here for a yummy recipe, so here's another one.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so excited that someone tried and posted one of my blog recipes...Yay!

I'm not doing so good the past couple of days...bad toothache...therefore a lack of posting. I'm so glad I'm still able to just read them from time to time though.

God bless!

The Farmers Wife said...

Looks tasty, I will have to try that one! Hope your pup peps up!

Julie said...

It was my pleasure Tammy :) Hope your tooth feels better soon.

Lunch Buckets said...

Your girl looks so pretty :) I'm thinkin' maybe the smell got to him - Cody I mean.

theUngourmet said...

That does look tasty and I love cooking in my skillet so I will have to give it a try! Have a good Sunday!

What A Card said...

You had me at Cracker Barrel and Hashbrown Casserole :)

Tiffany said...

I love that it's baked in an iron skillet too. It's got to be good. I'm off to check out the recipe.

noble pig said...

Very nice...who wouldn't love a hashbrown casserole. You should seriously enter this into the Potato Ho Down...becuase it's AWESOME!

Joie de vivre said...

Don't worry about taking a break, we all need a break every once in a while!

Selba said...

I haven't eaten hashbrown for a long time...

Oh.. the little girl is lovely and so sweet that she has taking care your old doggie :)

3 Bay B Chicks said...

So glad that you are out of the woods, after feeling like the big green glob for four days. Absolutely does not look like fun!

We need to spend more time on lovely dishes like this Hasbrown Casserole.

-Francesca

The Blonde Duck said...

I missed you! I hope your puppy feels better. Have some more of that tasy casserole--I know I am!

Heather said...

I love anything that tastes like Cracker Barrel. This looks delicious!!

rebel said...

Hey, I just wanted to stop in and tell ya thanks for visitin' with me over at my blog. I've been checkin' out your blog and it's great!
Your daughter is beautiful.
Hope you have a great day and come by anytime.

Leslie said...

Poor little pup. Hope he's feeling better!

That Hashbrown Casserole looks yummy! I'm going to have to try it.

Stop by if you get a chance. I've got my first giveaway going on.

Brandy said...

Oh yeah I've done this in the oven and the crockpot and it's DELICIOUS either way!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm that looks good.

Hope your doggy is feeling better.

Your daughter's dress is beautiful!

piecemeal people said...

Oh dear. That looks delicious. Must. Go. Get. It. NOW.

Michel-lee said...

Thanks for commenting on my site. I see that your's looks really good too. I don't own an iron skillet but just thinking about one makes me want some cornbread LOL.