Sunday, September 28, 2008

Speaking of Failures

This cake, and I use that term loosely, has taught me you can't trust every recipe you find on the internet. Fortunately I don't remember where I found it or I'd give them a piece of my mind. Or better yet a piece of this cake!
It was supposed to be a burnt sugar cake. I have some vague memory of a friend's mom making this when I was young. Her's was good. This, was not.
When I realized the cake itself was going to taste like crap, I thought maybe the frosting might redeem the whole thing. But no.
How could I go wrong with butter, cream, brown sugar, and a truckload of confectioner's sugar?
I don't know but somehow I did.
Live and learn, I suppose.....and always have a plan B.

8 comments:

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

How funny! I have had a few like that too. One of the ones I tried won awards and it was horrible.

Eva said...

awww, I've made cakes that looked like that that I called a success. I've made cakes that were so tough and rubbery that I could barely cut it. that was a failure. but this one doesn't look too bad. too bad it didn't taste good :(

Veronica said...

That's a shame to waste all that good sugar! The best burnt sugar cake I've ever made was one that I found in Better Homes and Garden a few years ago called Burnt Sugar Candy Bar cake-I always make it around Halloween with all the leftover candy bars. I just googled it and found it on ths blog: http://workingwomanfood.blogspot.com/2008/02/burnt-sugar-candybar-cake.html
It's really good! And it's from BHG so it will definitely work!

Julie said...

Thanks for all the nice words, and the recipe!

CECIL said...

Awwhh!! That's one of few reasons I don't bake much. I am terrified for things like this, live and learn, I know. But with just the two of us, I will feel so bad to toss it out! At least you can still cut it..there was a time my cake did not even rise and just a glop in pan :) Don't give up! Keep baking.

TeaLady said...

Failed cake. Aarrgghhh!!! I had that happen one time, or at least that I remember. Tried to frost the cake, fell apart everywhere. I took the 'cake' (loose use of the term), mixed it with the icing and made cookies. They were good too. Out of failure....

Mandy said...

Oh goodness. Thanks for the laugh. We've all had our horrible failures, you are so brave for posting yours. AND, I wanted to let you know that Milano's are my absolute fav so I found a copy cat recipe online and I'm going to attempt a homemade version tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Julie said...

Ooh, homemade milano's. Can't wait to see the results1