Sunday, November 7, 2010

Seven Sporadic Questions: Lick The Bowl Good

Hope you are all having a wonderful November thus far, and it's filled with all things autumn-y.  No crunchy leaves or bonfires for me, still wearing shorts and flip flops, but am quite thankful for the break in the heat.  



This month's featured blogger for Seven Sporadic Questions is none other than Monica of Lick the Bowl Good. 



 Monica seems like a truly kind soul and her cakes are so beautiful they make me want to cry (in a good way).   So sit back, grab a beverage, and get to know Monica a little more.


1. What inspired you to start blogging?

I started blogging because I was going through a very difficult time in my life and I needed a distraction. Sharing my favorite recipes and photos through my blog became a much needed outlet. An added bonus is that I'm met some amazing people and have made lasting friendships over the past 3 years.

2. What's your favorite thing to make for a crowd? 


 Triple layer cake!


I like to bake cakes because it gives me an excuse to try different recipe combinations and I can practice decorating them, all the while feeding the whole family and still having leftovers. Who doesn't love cake?



3. What's your favorite thing to make for just you? 



When it comes to baking, I choose flavors that I like, but I usually aim at pleasing my husband first because if he doesn't like something then I'm left trying to eat it all before it goes bad. However, there is one thing that he doesn't like, that I love and that is rice pudding. I like to make a batch using vanilla beans, arborio rice and heavy cream and eat it right from the pan or the fridge. It's great for breakfast too!


4. If you could invite 3 famous people (living or dead) to dinner, who would they be? Any particular reason? 


I would love to dine with Oprah Winfrey, because I think she's fascinating and could tell some awesome stories. Paula Deen because she cracks me up and she thinks everything she eats is "out of this world" so there would be no complaints about food. And thirdly I'd invite Tom Selleck for eye candy and to keep my husband entertained. ha ha!


5. When you think of your childhood, do any favorite dishes come to mind?

My grandma's beef stew with cornbread crumbled into it. The epitome of comfort. I've never attempted to make beef stew because I know it wouldn't taste like I remember.


6. What do you have in your kitchen that you just couldn't do without? (besides your stove/oven of course) 

I have a few obsessions when it comes to the kitchen. Cake stands and bowls of all sizes are amongst them- I can't seem to get enough! But it's the spoonula from Williams-Sonoma that I use most often. A lot of people are attached to their KitchenAid stand mixers, but I believe in working for your food so I do a lot by hand and the spoonula is a wonderful kitchen tool I couldn't do without.



7. What's your favorite part of blogging?
Do you think you'll keep doing it for a while?

My favorite part of blogging has been all the opportunities and connections with people I've been able to be part of. The blogging community has been incredibly accepting and supportive and I plan to keep blogging and creating as long as I am having fun and feel like I am contributing something.
 


15 comments:

Julie said...

woohoo...I get to comment first! I feel the need to make that rice pudding, and soon.

Sherri Murphy said...

Going to check out her site--looks like a place I need to be!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous cake!! It was fun getting to know Monica better. Off to check out her site.....

My Little Space said...

I love all your answers especially the first and the 2nd one! I need to get that recipe as well. Btw, I blog because of the same thing happened to me and I needed a distraction. God blessed that I have so many friends now from all over the world. Hope you're having a great day and be happy! Life is too short to be unhappy.
Best wishes, Kristy
p/s please visit my Rainbow wonder loaf for the answer!

Kim said...

Monica makes the most beautiful treats in her kitchen. I truly enjoyed reading this post. My favorite tool is the spoonula too! I use it for everything.

Chris said...

I have never seen her blog before now. That cake is awe inspiring.

Monet said...

I always enjoy learning a bit more about my favorite bloggers! I love making triple layer cakes for guests too. They are always popular. Thank you for sharing with us. I enjoyed reading each of your answers!

teresa said...

so good to get to know her, i'm going to check out her blog!

oneordinaryday said...

Oh, this is a great interview!!

Kasha said...

I loved learning about you. Now I must find a spoonella! I have to work my food by hand as well since I can't afford a fancy mixer. Who knew there was such a gadget!
www.grubandstuff.blogspot.com

Joanne said...

I love Monica's blog so I'm so excited that you interviewed her Julie! She is a baking master!

The JR said...

That's a cool blog name. Glad to meet you and will be checking out your blog.

Reeni said...

It was great getting to know Monica better! And finding out she started her blog when she was going through a bad time sounds just like me - I'm off to pay her a visit!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hmmm, what to say that would be new and original about Monica & her delicious blog? :)
~ingrid

Monica H said...

Sorry I'm getting her so late, but it's been one busy weekend at Foodbuzz Fest in San Francisco!

Thank you so very much for this interview. I am honored and humbled that you asked me to be a part of this series.

And thanks for adding the pictures and watermarks for me- I appreciate it!

Happy day,
Monica