Friday, May 7, 2010

Mini Lime Cheesecakes

I'm late to the party as usual, but this was our Cinco de Mayo treat.  This recipe comes from Kim at The Ungourmet.  They looked so scrumptious and cute, I just had to try them.


I cheated a bit when it came to the lime juice and used mostly bottled, and just squeezed the juice out of two fresh limes into it.  I took these to work, and they got wonderful reviews. (forget for a moment that we work in a hospital and think jello and saltines is a treat)


INGREDIENTS:
2 cups gingersnap cookies (I used graham crackers with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar)
10 tbsp melted butter
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups softened cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
3 eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup lime juice
2 tbsp lime zest

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 24 paper baking cups into muffin pans.

Put the cookies into a food processor and pulse until you end up with course crumbs. Stir in the butter. Place a tbsp of this mixture into each paper cup and press firmly into the bottom. Chill until set.

In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the ricotta until smooth. Add the cream cheese, vanilla and confectioner's sugar, blending until smooth. Slowly add the eggs, blending well.  Add the lime juice and zest and mix well.  Spoon mixture evenly over crust.

Bake for 30-35  minutes. Remove pan from oven and cool 5 minutes. Then, remove the cheesecakes and cool on a wire rack. Chill until ready to serve. 





I received this awesome sample package of a product I'd never heard of before.  It's a grain called salba.  What is salba, you may ask?
  
Salba is a nutritional powerhouse, loaded with vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. Richer in protein and Omega-3s than Chia, and higher in fiber than flaxseed, Salba is a functional food that can be enjoyed daily to help manage blood sugar levels, to help reduce the risks of diseases such as heart disease, and to help reduce appetite and increase satiety.  Gram for gram, a 12g serving of Salba provides:
  • 8x more Omega-3's than salmon
  • 25% more dietary fiber than flax
  • 30% more antioxidants than blueberries
  • 15x more magnesium than broccoli
  • 7x more antioxidants than oranges
  • 6x more calcium than milk
  • 3x more iron than spinach
  • 3x more fiber than oats
You can read more here.


I really liked the chips, thought they had a nice corn flavor.  And those little bags will be perfect for my daughter's lunch.

19 comments:

Monica H said...

Uh, YUM! These are too cut eand they look so good. I want these like now!

The recipe calls for 2 cups of cookies, but approximatley how much is that in crumbs? I'm going to try to make these but 1/4 the recipe.

Thanks!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Happy Mother's day!...fantastic cheesecake..


blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

Anonymous said...

I love the little dollop on top. I've never tried a kelime pie. I think they're an american thing? (Im in Oz). But id certainly love to!

Joanne said...

I saw these on Kim's site and fell in love! have to make them soon.

I've never heard of salba before but thanks for sharing! Those do sound delicious.

Anonymous said...

I have those cheesecakes bookmarked to make soon too! They look and sound so good!

teresa said...

those cheesecakes look SO good and pretty! great samples as well!

Leslie said...

These look soooo delicious and cute too!

Julie M. said...

Oh man. That, my friend is one DELICIOUS looking Cinco de Mayo dessert. I have such a weakness for citrus desserts. I love the ginger snap crust too. I will definitely be making this.

Barbara said...

I saw that recipe and copied it. So glad you made them and told us how good they are! They look delicious; anything made with key limes moves to the top of my list. I usually use graham crackers too, but like the gingersnap idea.

Donna-FFW said...

SO bookmarking this recipe.. my hubby loves anything lime.. will be trying it asap, thank you!!

Julie M. said...

I left you an award over on my blog. Stop by to pick it up!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Those look scrumptious!

Happy Mother's Day!!

Lynsey James March said...

How cute and delicious are these! I made them for Mother's Day, and they were a family hit!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

These are so cute and they sound like they would taste awesome! I may have to make these for a summer party or something like that!

Katrina said...

Yum. Recently had a cheesecake throwdown with some friends. I made key lime cheesecake and I won. Love your little minis!

Kerstin said...

What a refreshing dessert - wish I had a bite right now :)

Kim said...

Love the lime cheesecakes....I could go for some right now! Sounds like a healthy breakfast, right?

The Salba sound interesting. Always fun to receive goodies in the mail.

grace said...

yeeehaw! i love the miniature version of cheesecakes more than anything else--they're perfect for portion control and SO cute. nicely done. :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Love the little plate you photographed them on! I don't squeeze key limes. I cheat and use the bottle too and I'm totally okay with that. :)
~ingrid