Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Easy Minestrone and Hoho's Chinese Noodle Soup

First up is this easy and delicious minestrone. It's still barely cool enough here that I can pretend it's winter and enjoy a nice hot bowl of soup.
I thought this minestrone was flavorful and comforting. And it was pretty fast and easy.
I found this recipe at Epicurious...you can click here for the recipe. The only change I made was to use the "Italian style" tomatoes, which added a little extra flavor. We ate these with BLT's...yum!
This next soup was found by my son during some of his web surfing.
If you don't know who Hoho is, he is the simian friend of Kai Lan, who is the Nickelodeon character beloved by little girls between 3 and 6, and um, maybe some 11 year old boys.
(there's no predicting what will attract the attention of an autistic kid!)
So Simon ran across this recipe at the Nickelodeon website and was pretty interested in it, so I thought, what the heck, and made it for him. I didn't really think he would like it. I think I added too many of those bean thread noodles, and it got a little gelatinous.
But he seemed to just love it!
The website also shows some directions for making cupcakes that look like other characters from the show. Pretty cute!

18 comments:

Grand Pooba said...

Epicurious? Crap, I don't even know what that means but I'm guessing it's good right? lol

Thanks for the recipes!

The JR said...

Both of them look good. I like those bean thread noodles too.

teresa said...

they both look fantastic!

Kim said...

I think it's really cute that your son requested a specific recipe. I think all children like cartoons no matter what their age is. Heck, my 40 year old husband still enjoys them:D

Jhonny walker said...

Minestrone is a dear fave with me. Thanks for the recipes..they will be delish..I can tell from your blog post :)

A Blissful Nest said...

Those look so ggod. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Reeni said...

They both look good! And I have lots of bean thread noodles. That's so cute how he picked the recipe.

Mara Campbell said...

That minestrone looks delish!! I must try it, I love soup.

Lunch Buckets said...

Apparently I'm the only one disappointed to find that the soup didn't involve a chocolatey cupcake type thing.

love lives in the kitchen said...

looks dlicious and so healthy!
have a great day,
justyna

Joanne said...

It is DEFINITELY still cool enough for soup here! Both of these look delicious.

Krista said...

Both of those soups look good, but Ho ho's Soup is really catching my attention. Good for Simon! He's meal planning : )

I'm giving you an award on my blog, if you get a chance, come on by and check it out.

Hope you have a good weekend!

MaRiN said...

mmm, i could eat that bowl of minestrone right now. looks delicious!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

How could I begin to choose. I like bean thread noodles.

♥peachkins♥ said...

heehee, my daughter loves kai-lan too!

Anonymous said...

Those soups would be perfect for our snowy weekend here!

Katy ~ said...

I could eat and enjoy both those wonderful soups with great relish!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

It's nice when you make something for the kids and they like it especially when they picked the recipe. Thanks for the minestrone recipe.
-Ingrid